Information we collect
We may gather three types of information about our website users:
1. personal information, provided voluntarily when you complete an online form or request for service
2. specific information to identify the computers or devices you use to access First Excelsior Online Portal and the manner by which you use them
3. aggregated information collected by our web server or third party systems we subscribe to for site traffic information.
Our web server collects the following types of information:
- the number and location of site visitors (gathered via IP address logs and device id logs )
- the date and time of visits
- the number of pages viewed
- technical information on browser connections
- traffic patterns
- audit logs of all activity.
In normal circumstances, this is anonymous statistical data and no attempt is made to identify users or their individual browsing activities. We use this aggregate data to evaluate our website performance and measure the interest in various areas of our site.
In the event of a fraud, dispute, or other extraordinary circumstances, audit logs of Online Financial activity, and IP address information may be analysed for troubleshooting purposes. If we come across a suspicious looking transaction, we will investigate it to ensure there is no breach of security. Occasionally, this may involve one of our staff members contacting you to verify a transaction.
We may release information about you when required to, or permitted by law.
We may also disclose information where you have authorised us to, or where disclosure is connected to the purpose for which it was collected – eg. online applications. You have the right to access and correct this information subject to the provisions of the Privacy Act 1993.
We will not however, use your personal information for any purpose that is not related to the products or services we provide to you, or for any purpose for which you would not reasonably expect us to use the information. For example, your information may be used by Westpac and its related companies, to enable us to offer you other products and services that may enhance your relationship with us. It’s your decision whether you wish us to provide this service to you or not.
We may share the information we gather in aggregate form, eg. survey or tracking information, with advertisers and other partners. However, we will not sell or disclose personal information about you as an individual to any third party or entity outside Westpac or its related companies for marketing purposes.
Cookies are small pieces of information which can be stored on your hard drive (persistent cookies) or in memory (session cookies). The cookies we send to your PC or APPLE cannot read your hard drive or command your computer to perform any action.
We use two types of cookies:
- Persistent cookies – used to identify and provide personalised features such as choosing which page you would like to make your First Excelsior start page, as part of our Online Protection Challenge service, and for tracking traffic patterns to and from our site.
- Session cookies – used as an integral part of the identification process for our Online service. This is for security purposes to determine that you are who you say you are and to provide you with your confidential account information during an Online session. No personal information is kept in the cookie and the cookie is not written to your hard drive. When you log out of your Online session the cookie is no longer valid and is discarded when you close your browser.
When you provide information
When submitting an online form relating to a First Excelsior product or service, we will request specific personal information such as your name and address, title, existing financial relationship, your email address and a contact phone number. This information is necessary in order for us to action your request, and so that we can contact you if needed on issues relating directly to the product or service. Where confidential information is included in the form, we will use encryption to ensure that the information you send to us across the Internet is secure.
As part of our Online registration process, we invite you to provide additional information, namely your email address, marketing email preferences, and a name with which you would like to be greeted during future Online sessions. Providing this information is optional for you, and you can change or remove these details at any time via a permanent link in our Online navigation bar.
From time to time, First Excelsior may collect additional personal information from website users in connection with optional competitions, surveys, or special offers.
If you are a registered customer we may use your email address to advise you of any upgrades or changes to this service, and if necessary to contact you with important information about any accounts or services you have with us that require your urgent attention.
You may choose to receive by email promotional messages, surveys, special offers or information about product and services from First Excelsior that are relevant to you. You can select to receive these email communications via the Name and email preferences feature within your Online session.
Security of captured data
To prevent unauthorised access, maintain data accuracy and ensure appropriate use of any customer supplied information, we have put in place physical, electronic and managerial processes to protect the information we collect via our website.
For example, when capturing customer information through our Online services, it is passed through a secure First Excelsior server using encryption technology to ensure that this information is protected when being sent over the Internet.
Additionally, all stored customer information is protected from unauthorised access through the use of secure passwords, user log-ons, security keys and other security procedures.
The information appearing on this site is for preliminary and general information only and is not to be relied on as being complete, accurate and up–to-date, and it is subject to change. Full details of up-to-date terms and conditions, product information, charges and interest rates are available upon request from First Excelsior.
First Excelsior shall not be responsible for the content of any other site accessed via the First Excelsior site. Links to other sites are provided for convenience only and do not represent any endorsement by First Excelsior of products offered by the site owner. First Excelsior Limited.